Thursday, February 13, 2014

Becoming a Lesser Person (The Good Kind)

Breathe y'all.  I have not wasted away in the throes of South Beach, Phase 1.  In fact, I actually did better than I was expecting and lost seven (7!) pounds in two weeks!  I was thrilled.  I've also continued working on my couch to 5K training program.  I'm halfway through the week 2 workouts, but the snow days and my office (and thereby my gym) being closed and my boot camps being canceled have derailed me a bit.  In anticipation of the ice terrors, I did make sure to run Monday and Tuesday, so now I just need to fit in one more workout.

I'm feeling pretty good though.  I don't know if you can actually see the missing seven pounds, but I feel more confident, so hopefully that's coming through.  Believe it or not, I did not rush out and eat a loaf of bread Wednesday morning, though I did have some steel-cut oatmeal which was pretty glorious.

I'm currently living my life ruled by Weight Watchers Points Plus, heavily influenced by the South Beach rules.  I think that'll work best for me, as I enjoy cooking and can used both programs to create some pretty awesome stuff.  South Beach did make me think a lot more creatively about cauliflower as I've learned to make fried "rice" and pizza crust with the vegetable.  My recipes for both need tweaking, but that's half the fun of cooking.  (The need to justify my junk food/low-brow cravings is also what led me to figure out a recipe for organic, from-scratch Hamburger Helper.)  I also have seen some ideas for a cauliflower risotto, so that's going on my cooking bucket list.

In any case, with either weight loss program, they suggest a 1-2 pound per week weight loss, so I'm not expecting miracles like the one I just had, but with my running and healthier eating, I'll settle for progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment